The art of birthday card writing isn’t easy for many people. Shouting at a party is not hard. But deciding what to write on a birthday card is a lot different.
At the core of every birthday message that someone writes, there is a relationship. People don’t send gifts and birthday cards to strangers. Value, depth, and proximity of relationships are all determinant factors to consider.
For instance, what to write for best friends is not the same as what to write in a birthday card for a sister.
General Birthday Messages for a Birthday Card
- Happy Birthday!
- Another year, another slice of cake!
- Have the happiest of birthdays!
- So grateful that you were born. Happy birthday.
- I hope your celebration is as amazing as you!
- Thanks for being here, for being you. Happiest of birthdays.
Birthday Wishes in Other Languages
- Feliz cumpleaños (Spanish)
- Alles Gute zum Geburtstag (German)
- Bon anniversaire (French)
- Buon compleanno (Italian)
- Feliz aniversário (Portuguese)
- عيد مولد سعيد / eid mwalid saeid (Arabic)
- जन्मदिन मुबारक / janmadin mubaarak (Hindi)
- 誕生日おめでとう / Tanjōbiomedetō (Japanese)
- 生日快樂 / Shēngrì kuàilè (Chinese)
What to Write In a Birthday Card for Mom
Mothers are special people. They carry a pregnancy and then care for their babies until independence. Writing a birthday card to a mom has to show love and appreciation.
These are examples of what to write in a birthday card for mom.
- On this day, I celebrate both your birth into the world and my blessing in being born to you. Happy Birthday, Mom!
- It doesn’t matter how old I am, your hug is still the warmest and safest place on the earth for me. Happy Birthday to the most loving mom in the world.
- A special birthday to you! You carried, clothed, nurtured, fed, and protected me from the harshness of the world. With much appreciation, Happy Birthday, Mom!
- To me, you’ll never age! What an honor to have a youthful, caring, and thoughtful Mom like you. Happy Birthday!
What to Write In a Birthday Card for Dad
The first memory about dads in most people is about protection. Fathers played a role in caretaking, supporting, and cheering people as they grew up.
For many people, what to write in a birthday card for dad follows examples like these.
- Great fathers guide their children and provide solutions. But still, they allow them to decide on their own and learn from the mistakes they make. Happy Birthday to the wisest man I’ve lived knowing!
- I don’t say it often. But I appreciate every effort and hard work you put into raising me. You protected me from the bullies of the world. Happy Birthday, Dad!
- One more year has passed, marking another year of becoming wiser. Through your wisdom, I have been navigating life with confidence. Thanks for your great advice and support. Happy Birthday, Dad!
- Thanks for your protection as I grew up. You fought all the monsters in the dark and helped me become brave. Happy Birthday, Dad!
What to Write in a Birthday Card for Sister
Sisters are amazing. They can be a bit problematic at times, though. But, they glue up a family.
They also offer positive physical and mental health to their siblings.
What to write in a birthday card for sister could include:
- My dear sister, I’d like to wish you joy and excitement in life. May there be discoveries and fresh surprises all along, like it was as we were growing up. Happy Birthday!
- You’ve always been amazing and a friendly sister to me. Happy Birthday, Sis!
- Through our parents, we became siblings. But on our own, we grew as friends. Our bond will never end! Happy Birthday, loving sister!
- With you around, nothing bothers my happiness, and if something does, you are always there to lift my spirit. Happy Birthday, Sis!
What to Write In a Birthday Card for Boyfriend
Love relationships give meaning to life. They promote the purpose of existing on earth.
Through love relationships, life becomes lively, and pains fade away. They strengthen self-esteem, remove lovability doubts, and cut off fears of loneliness.
Even though they can turn to be painful, love relationships are natural to the brain. Humans are co-dependent. And they depend on love from infancy to adulthood.
Since love starts at courtship, it’s natural to wonder what to write in a birthday card for a boyfriend. Here are a few suggestions.
- Every one of my days has been great because you’ve been a loving man to me. To the special friend that I have in my life, Happy Birthday! You’ve taught me to know true love.
- I’m writing this to the man who has known how to make me laugh until I shed tears. And has also learned how to make me smile after shedding tears- Happy Birthday! You are amazing.
- You’re a blessing to me, the man who makes me smile even in rough moments. You are special to me. Happy Birthday!
- Happy birthday to the man in whom I confide. You always know what to say to make my life better. I treasure your beautiful love.
- As you celebrate your birthday, I can’t wait to see what life will unfold in our journey. You are the man I love and a true blessing. Happy Birthday!
What to Write In a Birthday Card for Girlfriend
Here’s an example of what to write in a birthday card for a girlfriend.
- Happy birthday to the woman who makes my dull moments sparkle. You are a blessing to me.
- To the woman who has brought a whole new meaning to my life, Happy Birthday, my love! You are a special gift. Thanks for being so caring.
- Happy birthday, to the woman who makes my days worthwhile. I celebrate your love and care. Looking forward to our future together.
Funny Things to Write In a Birthday Card
Funny birthday wishes are popular. That’s because laughter makes for the greatest gift- yet cheaper than most presents
But, caution is necessary with some funny things to write in a birthday card. You could think that it’s fun, yet end up hurting the recipient.
For instance, if someone’s sensitivity about their age is high, don’t joke about it.
Age is the source of most funny birthday wishes and comments. Here are some of the funny things about getting older that you could joke about:
People write things like:
- Another birthday? You’ll need to use a wide cake or smaller candles. They’re becoming too many!
- I’m happy that you’re celebrating yet another birthday. They say that the more you have, the longer you live!
- Happy Birthday! For everyone’s safety, use one candle this year.
What to Write In Best Friends Birthday Card
Many people do not have close to five close friends. Having even a single best friend is very fortunate. That bond needs cultivation and commitment.
To keep the friendship fire burning is a mutual responsibility.
Here is what to write in best friends birthday card to make it memorable.
- I am grateful for your friendship. You are amazing! May your birthday be as wonderful as you are my best friend. Have a happy one!
- Happy Birthday! I’m so proud of you. Thank you for sticking close and helping me find meaning in life. You are my best friend!
Eight Best Practices to Craft Excellent Birthday Card Messages
Here are eight best practices to craft excellent birthday card messages.
1. Choose the Right Card
The more thoughts go into a card, the better its impact. Choosing the right birthday card is crucial. It means that someone puts value in their relationship with the recipient.
How to choose a birthday card depends on some factors. One must consider the recipient’s age and preferences.
Is the recipient too serious or they could take a joke? Do they like trendy topics?
Are they conservative? Can an e-card do or must you use normal mail?
The pets they like or dislike are examples of preferences. It is better to send a dull card than one with a detestable image.
2. Know When to Make It Funny
Depending on how formal a relationship is, funny birthday messages are perfect options. Best friends, relatives, and peers like workmates could like them.
But such messages might not work for relationships. Here, emotional expression is an expectation. An example is the case of a parent or spouse. For them, it’d be best to share a fun memory rather than crack a joke.
Where appropriate, people joke about the recipient’s age. Some of the funny things they say are to express how ancient the birthday person has become.
3. Making It Heartfelt
For deep connection relationships, make it heartfelt. These could be people like spouses, parents, grandparents, and elder children.
For example, what to write in a birthday card for dad would entail meditating about him first. The emotions then go into writing. Sketching a few drafts helps.
4. Make It Sincere
A few sincere words are better than large inauthentic pieces of writing. The recipient will feel good to know that someone is thinking about them on their birthday.
5. Make It Complementary
No one hates appreciation. When people get compliments, they end up motivated to do more.
When a birthday card recipient receives a compliment, they’ll be likely to reciprocate. It makes their lives worthwhile.
6. Using Other People’s Quotes
When someone cannot think of any birthday messages to write, they can use quotes. If they know of a person that they both like, they can get an appropriate quote from that person’s collection.
7. The Recipient to Be the Main Focus
Since it’s the recipient’s birthday, they must be the main focus. They need to feel important.
Every word that a sender writes on a birthday card must be intentional. Otherwise, the card might end up causing hurtful feelings.
8. Sharing a Memory
Precious moments become more valuable when recalled. Even if they were few. They make a birthday card’s recipient happy.
What to Avoid When Sending a Birthday Card
- Choose a birthday card for the right occasion. What would happen if a ‘quick recovery’ card appeared on a healthy person’s birthday?
- You shouyldn’t focus on yourself too much. They mustn’t use too many ‘I’ statements.
- The message must not be too brief or too long.
- You should not just sign the card without writing anything. But again, you should not be overly verbose in writing.
- Senders of late birthday cards must do so within a month of the recipient’s birthday. After that, it is best to deliver the card in person.
The apologies must not be overdone.
Birthdays are the best holidays in some people’s calendars. Thoughtfulness must go to every stage of writing an excellent birthday card. It pays to do so because it’s all about relationships. And people love compliments. They’ll always reciprocate them!